County in hopes of catching some shorebirds in the temporary pools created by
the rain. At Robert Moses State Park Field 2 there were Black-bellied Plover,
Red Knot (with five bands on its legs), Semipalmated Plover, and Sanderling.
The large gulls were in good numbers with two Lesser Black-backed Gulls at
Field 5 the only thing of note. Small peep (Semipalmated and Least) were also
present at Captree State Park. A quick stop down at West End was unproductive,
with five Lesser Black-backed Gulls present in WE2.

I headed east to Heckscher Park, where there was plenty of water in the parking
lots, but very little in the grassy depressions. There were a few Lesser
Yellowlegs and Least Sandpipers, but without more rain, it is likely that the
parking lots will quickly dry up. I then drove east to the Timber Point Golf
Course, which was closed to golfers. There were a fair number of shorebirds on
the fairways bordering the road down to the marina, and I was finally able to
connect with a single Pectoral Sandpiper. Other species present were
Short-billed Dowitchers, both Yellowlegs, Semipalmated Plover, and the typical
small peep.

Ken Feustel