Would the Wildlife Conservation Society (Bronx Zoo) be of any help? Or might
that result in more trouble than it's worth?

Carol Holmes

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Jett <citybir...@earthlink.net>
To: NYSBirds <NYSBirds-L@cornell.edu>
Sent: Fri, Aug 14, 2015 2:49 pm
Subject: RE:[nysbirds-l] Unknown mammal - escaped illegal pet @ Jamaica Bay
East Pond Trail

Unfortunately, it is legal in several states to possess wild, exotic animals.
Some don't even require any kind of permits. I'm guessing someone bought it in
another state and drove back to NYC with it. After all, NYC is a perfectly
logical place for a rainforest mammal to live. Amirite? Perhaps a bag of figs
might persuade the little guy to climb down from his treeā€¦

Good
birding,

Rob

> It may have stowed away on an airplane and arrived via JFK.
Or, more
> likely, it might have been smuggled in through JFK and somehow
escaped.
> If/when captured, forensics might be able to determine its recent
history
> via anything living on or in it.
>
> John Laver
> Manhattan,