This morning Dave Tetlow found a LARK SPARROW with a big flock of Chipping
Sparrows in Greece, Monroe County. A group of five birders saw the bird in
the early afternoon in the same area, again with several Chipping Sparrows.
This is at the intersection of Hincher Road and Hogan Point Road. We saw it
along Hincher Road about 100 yards east of Hogan Point Road, then it flew to
Hogan Point Road, where we saw it briefly before losing it. This is all
private property so birders should stick to the roads. As far as I am aware,
the bird has only been seen close to the roads so this should not pose a
problem for finding the bird.

Hamlin Beach State Park off parking lot #4 had some nice birds flying by
this morning but the two best were before I arrived - a SABINE'S GULL (an
adult, I think) and an adult LONG-TAILED JAEGER. A FORSTER'S TERN came by
with a loose flock of 30+ Common Terns. RED-NECKED GREBES moved in
surprising numbers for mid September - around 40, I think. There were also
numbers of GREATER SCAUP, WHITE-WINGED SCOTER, NORTHERN PINTAIL, and
GREEN-WINGED TEAL. Lots of other species as well. A few that I saw were
MERLIN, RED-HEADED WOODPECKER, HORNED GREBE, and GADWALL.

Good birding!

Willie

Willie D'Anna

Betsy Potter