9/29/15 Long Lake (Hamilton Co.)

At Sabattis Bog in the morning: 4 Gray Jays and 2 Black-backed Woodpeckers
(male and female).  (Photos on my Facebook page.)  At the inlet of Little
Tupper Lake, two fledgling Cedar Waxwings perched in a flimsy bush calling
for food.  The adult went back and forth several times a minute with berries
for them!

On 9/28/15, I had two different notable reports:

Jane Moon reported FOUR Sandhill Cranes along Stetson Road in Tupper Lake
(they behaved as two pairs)! (Franklin Co.)

Deb Evans reported two different "shrike" observations between Indian Lake
and Blue Mountain Lake - one at Rock Pond and one along Route 30 (could have
been the same bird).  I've observed Northern Shrikes in Hamilton Co. in
October, so the end of Sept. is certainly a possibility.  She did not get a
photograph.

9/23/15 to 9/24/15 Canoe-Camping on Masssawepie Lake (St. Lawrence Co.)

I canoed Massawepie Lake and camped at the beautiful Distillery Hill
campsite.  It was one of the nicest camping trips I've done in the past two
decades.  (The Boy Scout area of Massawepie opens up to the public on Sept.
1 until June 15.)  I didn't see another human for two days!  But I did see
and hear lots of birds!  On 9/24, I hiked the Mountaineer Trail to give the
fog over the lake time to burn off, and then I canoed Massawepie Lake and
its outlet - gorgeous!  Here are some of the birds from the trip:

Canada Goose - I heard them flying overhead all night

Wood Duck - pair

Common Loon - several (bothered by the local Bald Eagle pair) - they
vocalized throughout the night

Bald Eagle - pair of adults that appeared inseparable, always perching
together.  From my canoe, which was a challenge, I took several photos of
them perched in front of the moon!  I heard them vocalize until it was
almost completely dark.  They roosted near my campsite and I heard them
again at first light!

Barred Owl - at least 5 all vocalizing as soon as the light faded away!

Belted Kingfisher - at least 2

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

Northern Flicker

Pileated Woodpecker

Blue-headed Vireo - singing

Gray Jay - 3 that I saw twice (later, I stopped at Sabattis Bog on my way
home and found 4 more)

Common Raven

Brown Creeper - singing!

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Ruby-crowned Kinglet - singing parts of its song

"Gray-cheeked Thrush" calls - huge movement overnight

Hermit Thrush - many around my campsite at dawn and they all began to sing
for just a couple minutes!

Gray Catbird

Cedar Waxwing

Common Yellowthroat - singing

Palm Warbler

Pine Warbler - many, with lots of singing throughout the morning

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Song Sparrow

Swamp Sparrow

White-throated Sparrow - singing

Dark-eyed Junco

Purple Finch

Pine Siskin - one flying over - first one I've heard in a while!

Amer. Goldfinch

During the night, in addition to hearing Common Loons, Barred Owls, and
migrants, coyotes howled.  It was hard to sleep with so much going on in the
nocturnal world!

Joan Collins

Editor, New York Birders

Long Lake, NY