10/11/15 Long Lake (Hamilton Co.)

I stepped outside this morning and heard yet another flock of Pine Siskins!
One landed in a tree in our backyard - I guess it is time to think about
putting up feeders.

10/10/15 Long Lake (Hamilton Co.) and Tupper Lake (Franklin Co.)

On a tour with 4 birders (2 from Syracuse, NY and 2 from Bloomfield, CT) we
visited several locations in Long Lake and Tupper Lake (Sabattis Circle Road
including the Little Tupper Lake inlet and Sabattis Bog, Tupper Lake marsh,
and the Spring Pond Bog complex).  I first noted a Pine Siskin on 9/24/15
during my canoe-camping trip on Massawepie Lake, and now there appears to be
a widespread Pine Siskin movement underway - we heard them everywhere we
stopped!  Time will tell whether they are moving through or IN!  Here are
some of the birds found:

Wood Duck - marsh

Ruffed Grouse - 5! (groups of 3, 1, and 1) - SPB complex

Common Loon - Long Lake

Great Blue Heron - marsh

Red-tailed Hawk

Black-backed Woodpecker - 3 at Sabattis Bog (as we hiked the road, a female
came flying it - to a hole that was excavated by Black-backeds this past
spring (& not used) - and a male then flew in and chased her from the hole.
He took her place at the hole and she perched nearby.  I believe it was some
kind of courtship behavior and they both perched as if statues for a long
time!  They were very close to us and in perfect view, so lots of photos
were taken!  Another female was found foraging.

Northern Flicker

Blue-headed Vireo - 1

Gray Jay - 7! (4 at Sabattis Bog, 1 that popped out to see us in the SPB
complex, and at least 2 calling at SPB)

Common Raven

Red-breasted Nuthatch

Brown Creeper

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Ruby-crowned Kinglet

Hermit Thrush - several

Amer. Robin

Yellow-rumped Warbler - several

Song Sparrow - singing along the shore of Long Lake

Swamp Sparrow - singing at the Little Tupper Lake inlet

White-throated Sparrow - several

Dark-eyed Junco - many

Common Grackle - Little Tupper Lake inlet

Purple Finch - several

Pine Siskin - flying flocks heard everywhere we stopped

Amer. Goldfinch - still moving around

I guess the large numbers of White-crowned Sparrows observed on 10/7 moved
on the weather front, since we did not find any yesterday!

I posted photos of the Black-backed Woodpecker pair and a scenic view of
Spring Pond Bog on my Facebook page below.

Joan Collins

President, NYS Ornithological Association

Editor, New York Birders

Long Lake, NY

(315) 244-7127 cell

(518) 624-5528 home