Late this morning, after birding West End without much result, we stopped at
Zach’s Bay (part of Jones Beach State Park) to check out the picnic area. As we
walked into the pedestrian walkway under Ocean Parkway a female Black-throated
Blue Warbler was actively feeding in the darkness of the tunnel, apparently
with some success. In the picnic area we encountered a cooperative
Orange-crowned Warbler as well as a variety of the common Fall sparrows. On the
shores of Zach’s Bay were six Royal Terns with numerous Brant, while in the Bay
itself were two raucously calling Caspian Terns. Also in the Bay were our first
two Red-breasted Mergansers of the Fall. Photos of the Orange-crowned and the
Caspian Tern are on my flickr site.

Ken & Sue Feustel
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kfeustel/