Alerted by Ken Feustel to his productive seawatch at Robert Moses SP, Suffolk,
LI this morning, Pat and I headed down to the beach. We found Ken still there,
along with John Gluth and Keith and Mickey Cashman, and lots of seabird
activity.

Laughing Gulls and Forster's and Common Terns were feeding actively not far
offshore and were being harassed nearly constantly by Parasitic Jaegers (mostly
juveniles but also several adult-like birds). Northern Gannets were moving in
good numbers, occasionally pausing to feed also, and we recorded all three
scoters, an entrained Green-winged Teal, both loons, two Bonaparte's Gulls, and
other expected species. Later, Pete Morris picked out a distant Cory's
Shearwater.

Sometime after 10:00, I was watching a juv Parasitic chasing Laughing Gulls
when Ken called out a new jaeger approaching from the left (west). I looked
over and found it coming along quite close, just beyond the breakers. It struck
me as very slim, long-tailed, and slender-winged, and I immediately called
everyone's attention to it as a potential Long-tailed Jaeger. Its overall jizz
appeared more delicate than the purposeful, falcon-like gait of the Parasitics,
and its slender wings were markedly narrower than the tapering body and tail
behind, quite unlike the more balanced proportions of the nearby Parasitics,
whose wings looked roughly equal in width to their shorter, more squared-off
tails. The appearance of the bird from the wings back was very distinctive, if
difficult to describe: the rear part of the body was already very slim where
the wings ended and tapered further as it merged with the long tail, which also
seemed to taper to a sort of dull point (for lack of a better expression to
describe the distinction re Parasitic). I couldn't make out the tips of the
central rectrices per se (whereas we could see the spikes projecting from the
squared-off tails of juv Parastics at the same distance), but I think the
overall tail shape just described was a consequence of the greater length (and
non-spikiness) of these feathers.

Its plumage was unfamiliar: the underparts were mostly clear white, contrasting
with a much darker lower belly and undertail, and also with a gray hood
(seemingly uniform from nape to throat). I wasn't able to gauge the underwings
very well except that they looked dark, but the upperparts looked uniformly
gray-brown, with exactly two, vivid white primary shafts.

Because of the way we were sheltering behind the corner of the concession
building (I was standing behind the others), my view became blocked as the bird
continued eastward, into the feeding flock. Others were able to compare it
directly to Laughing Gulls and one Parasitic Jaeger and to verify its
absolutely smaller size: much smaller than the Parasitic Jaeger and seemingly
slightly smaller than the Laughing Gulls, also. (Parasitic Jaegers are clearly
larger than Laughing Gulls in direct comparison.)

Given the date, we had been hoping perhaps for a Pomarine Jaeger; Long-tailed
Jaeger was completely unexpected!

Shai Mitra
Bay Shore