I thought about going down to the coast this morning, knowing there would be
likely be an impressive show of diurnal passerines migrating. But they're
just passerines and the hawks still beckon - and I don't have to get up
early for them.  Not that I didn't get to partake in an impressive passerine
show. I've been told by the inland hawk watchers north of the city that they
get passerine movements late in the day - a phenomenon not seen on Long
Island. I stuck around late a couple of times recently at the Greenwich
Audubon Center) to see for myself (and to avoid sun glare on the way home).
Last week, the flight was mainly Robins and Cedar Wawings (and a Golden
Eagle at 5:11 P.M). Today, it was Grackles. There was one ten minute period
with three flocks comprised of about 10,000 birds. Overall, I guess there
well over 15,000 - probably a lot more, but I wasn't the one keeping count.
And that's with a much smaller window of time than the morning coastal
flights.

As for hawks, it was noteworthy for being better than your average Golden
Eagle day for east of the Hudson. Quaker Ridge (Greenwich) recorded 5 and
Chestnut Ridge (Butler Sanctuary, Westchester) tallied 3.

Steve Walter

Bayside, NY