My guess is  that we just miss them.  So much area to cover and so few people
covering it.  I think this is just a perfect example of how many good birds get
by us without being detected.  That is not the case for Cape May.  Very small
area and loads of coverage.  All the birds bottleneck there before heading out
over the bay.  Take the birds I found today as an example.  I spent 6 and a
half hours on the beach from morning until early afternoon and did not see a
single swallow.  Picked my kids from school, dropped them off at a friend and
went back out to see what I could find.  Went back exactly where I was earlier
and there they were.  May not have noticed them if one did not fly right past
me while I was walking out to the beach.  Takes lots of luck to be right where
they are and looking in their direction when the happen to be flying by.