I hope this goes through as I have yet to be able to post for some time.

92nd Bronx-Westchester Christmas Bird Count
December 27, 2015

     The 92nd Bronx-Westchester Christmas Bird Count held Sunday December
27,2015 found 114 species plus Blue Goose and an additional 3 count week. The
weather was unusually warm for the entire month of December leading to four
species of warblers, but low numbers for others as many birds remained further
north. We again set a record for participants at 109! Thanks to all for your
hard work.

    Highlights were Black-and-White Warbler in Five Islands Park in New
Rochelle, which is new to the count. One was also seen count week in the
Botanical Gardens. A Snowy Owl was in the Soundview section of the Bronx, the
first since 1987. The count also recorded  Great Egret in Rye, Laughing Gulls
in Rye, Barred Owl in Pelham Bay Park, Saw-whet Owl in Yonkers, Nashville
Warbler in Woodlawn Cemetery and 3 Orange-crowned Warblers, City Island and
College of Mount St Vincent.

    High counts were set for Snow Goose, 169 (71 in 2008) as they were moving
south along the Sound shore, Snow Goose (blue form) 4, Double-crested Cormorant
392 (103 in 2013), Merlin 5, and Fish Crow 234 (168 in 2013). Interestingly
American Crow hit a 57 year low.

    Low counts were noted for Mute Swan (44 year low), American Wigeon (26 year
low), Canvasback (69 year low), Ruddy Duck (44 year low), Horned Grebe (65 year
low), Sharp-shinned Hawk (26 year low), Winter Wren (26 year low), Carolina
Wren (16 year low), Hermit Thrush (36 year low).  American Tree Sparrow set an
all-time low of only 26 birds.

    An Eastern Phoebe and a different Nashville Warbler were seen count week in
the Botanical Gardens.

 Missed Species: Northern Pintail, Black-crowned Night Heron, Red-shouldered
hawk, American Coot, Ruddy Turnstone, Brown Thrasher & Savannah Sparrow.

    Due to the holidays, next year's count will be Monday, December 26, 2016.

Michael Bochnik
Compiler