January 30 & 31, 2016 Long Lake (Hamilton Co.), Newcomb and Minerva (Essex
Co.)

Twenty-one people traveled to the central Adirondacks for the NYS
Ornithological Association's winter weekend.  We held field trips both
Saturday and Sunday mornings, a presentation Saturday afternoon at the
Newcomb Adirondack Interpretive Center, and held a group dinner Saturday
night at the Adirondack Hotel.   Our 6-car caravan birded along roads with
several stops in boreal habitat.  Here are the 23 species found:

Red-tailed Hawk

Downy Woodpecker

Hairy Woodpecker

Black-backed Woodpecker - at least 2 heard (1 called along the Tahawus Road,
and 1 called at Sabattis Bog)

Pileated Woodpecker

Gray Jay - 8 (5 on Sat. and 8 on Sun. all at Sabattis Bog)

Blue Jay - many

Amer. Crow

Common Raven

Black-capped chickadee

Boreal Chickadee - 3 at the Boreas River (nice views of 2)

Red-breasted Nuthatch

White-breasted Nuthatch

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Cedar Waxwing - flock of 15 to 20 (quite a surprise in the central
Adirondacks in winter!  They were in the same fruit tree in Newcomb that I
photographed a similar size Bohemian Waxwing flock in Nov.!)

Amer. Tree Sparrow

Dark-eyed Junco

Northern Cardinal

Purple Finch - many

Red Crossbill - 27 (14 on Sat. - a pair and a flyover flock of 12 in
Newcomb; 14 on Sun. flocks of 1, 6, 4, & 3 in Newcomb, Minerva, and Long
Lake - one on Sunday was in the same location as Sat., so I didn't include
it in the total)

Pine Siskin - many

Amer. Goldfinch

Evening Grosbeak ~50 on Sat. and at least 35 on Sun. in Newcomb

The biggest surprise was the Cedar Waxwing flock in the central Adirondacks
in January.  This winter is so unusual that I guess nothing should seem like
a surprise!

Most humorous moment: We parked the cars and took a walk on the Tahawus Road
on Sunday.  There was a hunter walking just ahead of us (it is rabbit
season).  He was heading in the direction of his truck and you could hear
his beagle far away in the forest.  He hung out by his truck as we listened
for birds.  As we got closer to him, he decided to drive down the road a
bit.  Suddenly, Mary Beth Warburton's face showed that she saw something
behind me - we all turned to see a beautiful Snowshoe Hare (in its winter
white color) hop across the road from where the truck had been parked!  We
all cheered and clapped as the hare disappeared into the forest!  It was a
very smart hare!  Mary Beth exclaimed that it was just like Bugs Bunny and
Elmer Fudd!!!  I looked down the road at the oblivious rabbit hunter and he
looked bored waiting for his beagle to find a Snowshoe Hare!  We walked past
him on our way back to the cars, but no one told him what he had missed!

Mammals observed: Some participants observed a Red Fox on the ice on Long
Lake.  The Snowshoe Hare that was observed on Tahawus Road.  Our car spotted
a River Otter sitting on the edge of the ice along a brook on Route 30 in
Long Lake.

Thanks to Mary Beth Warburton, NYSOA Field Trip Chair, for organizing the
fun weekend!

Quite a few people took photographs of birds (& people!) during the weekend
- photos will be posted soon on the NYSOA Facebook page
(https://www.facebook.com/nybirds ).  Ron Bate took some beautiful flight
photos of Red Crossbills!

Joan Collins

President, NYS Ornithological Association

Editor, New York Birders

Long Lake, NY

(315) 244-7127 cell

(518) 624-5528 home