Noting the less than desirable weekend forecast Shane Blodgett and I made
an impromptu run to Montauk today, eventually making our way to the farm
fields north of Riverhead in search of flocks of geese.
The scoter and eider spectacle at Montauk Point did not disappoint.
Highlights  included the continuing drake King Eider, over 50 Razorbills
and close looks at all 3 scoter species. Although we didn't see the Chat
reported earlier in the week we did photograph 2 towhees and a Brown
Thrasher sunning themselves in windbreaks in the parking area. A Hermit
Thrush was teed up along Montauk Highway.
A quick stop at Culloden Point turned up a Red-necked Grebe.

Hook Pond was completely frozen. Luckily the 2 Tundra Swans were resting on
the ice.

Most of the fields in the area of Sound Ave in Riverhead were empty, but we
eventually found a group of roughly 5000 Canada Geese in two adjacent
fields off Penny's Rd. Eventually a Cackling Goose and Snow Goose were
found among the masses. Decent numbers of Horned Larks were present as well.

Good birding,

Sean Sime
Brooklyn, NY