Ken is right about "Lesser Canada" which is what I alluded to in my earlier
response. The question for me then is, what does B.Hutchinsii "variant" really
mean? Conservative approach to something none of us could really put a label
on?

I see Geese like this at many locations throughout our area and at no time at
all am I considering Cackling subspecies. Perhaps, I need to rethink that. I
imagine eBird reviewers will have their work cut out for them with this one
going forward.

Personally, I would not call this a Cackling Goose subspecies b.hutchinnsi. But
then, I am no expert on these matters ;-)

Cheers,

風 Swift as the wind
林 Quiet as the forest
火 Conquer like the fire