Thanks Phil for your comments and also posting a link to the latest
contribution to the Cackling Goose discussion.

I think often times we get too caught up in trying to affix a label on things
even when it is not clear.

As for the "Smew" well at least the NJ folks are keeping a stiff upper lip
about the whole affair. It will be all well and good until it shows up on
someone's eBird list and then it will be on :-)

風 Swift as the wind
林 Quiet as the forest
火 Conquer like the fire
山 Steady as the mountain