I don't think this made it to the list serve. Please see below an update on the
efforts to restore the West Pond and surrounding environs at Jamaica Bay
Wildlife Refuge.

Gateway Announces Public Availability of Finding of No Significant Impact

For Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge West Pond Trail Breach Repair

 Superintendent Jennifer Nersesian announced today the next step toward
completing the Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge West Pond Trail Breach Repair: a
Finding of No Significant Impact (FONSI) for the Preferred Alternative has been
signed by the NPS Northeast Regional Director and is now available online at
http://parkplanning.nps.gov/documentsList.cfm?projectID=44691.

The NPS has selected Alternative B: Repair the Breach and Improve Habitat
Conditions, the NPS Preferred Alternative, for implementation, which includes
repairing the embankment at the breach and installing a water control structure
and a groundwater well. The FONSI explains why this action will have no
significant effects on the human environment, based on the analysis in the
environmental assessment (EA) as well as the comments received from the public
and agencies during the public review period, which concluded November 6, 2015.
One small design refinement to the planned breach repair was made since the
issuance of the EA and is described in the FONSI, but the impacts to the
environment will be the same or fewer than those described in the EA.  An
updated version of the EA with very minor changes, including a more descriptive
title and the design refinement, is also available online at the address above;
these changes are itemized in the errata attached to the FONSI.

The purpose of the project is to plan for environmentally sensitive and
resilient conditions along the West Pond loop trail that support a diversity of
Jamaica Bay habitats, wildlife, and enhanced visitor experiences. Repairing the
primary breach in West Pond and installing a freshwater source through a
groundwater well will allow the NPS to return West Pond to more freshwater
conditions and provide a diversity of habitats for wildlife, unusual in an
urban area.

--NPS—

Daphne Yun
Acting Public Affairs Officer