I spent the morning at West End looking for the previously reported Eared Grebe
at Jones Inlet with no luck. However, an obliging Razorbill was off the Coast
Guard Station and the Lark Sparrow was back at its familiar location at the
western-most entrance to WE Field 2. Both Lesser Black-backed Gull and Iceland
Gull were reported from the WE2 parking lot but I saw neither. A first winter
Lesser Black-backed Gull was in the Field 6 parking lot. While scanning the
Inlet I received a message from Ed Becher (thanks Ed!) that the Eared Grebe
seen Saturday at Oak Beach by Pete Morris had been re-found by Joe Viglietta.
In a very similar circumstance to Saturday, where I missed the grebe by fifteen
minutes, my arrival coincided with the bird disappearing. It took some time but
the bird was eventually relocated as it floated east towards our position at
the Senior Citizens Parking Lot on the Oak Beach Road. We were able to follow
the bird for some time (and photograph it) as it fed along the jetties,
remaining on the surface for only seconds before diving. It was easy to see how
this bird could disappear! The bird eventually floated with the incoming tide
past the Senior Citizens jetty headed east and was not relocated when I left.

Good Birding,

Ken Feustel
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kfeustel/