It's a very interesting find Karen. I'd imagine voice is the biggest clue
(more so than plumage).

As far as I know these two species are not naturally sympatric anywhere,
so singing the 'wrong' song is more likely to be indicative of some form
of hybridity than an example of 'learning'.

It's well over 10 years since I lived out West so I can't remember enough
about any variation I heard there. I would think a sampling of hermit song
variation would rule in (or out) a pure taxa though.

Cool bird, either way.
Cheers
Dom.

www.antbirder.blogspot.com