Jamaica Bay WR, 9:00-11:00 AM 24 June

Joe Giunta and I (Sy Schiff) went to the south end, walking on a newly created
path through the phragmites to reach a small mud flat that held us and a scope.
(The water is coming down and for the first time in years, early enough for the
beginning  return shorebird flight).

We spent the morning on the East Pond, first scanning north from the south end
and then south from Big Johns Pond. Besides the Mallard and Black Ducks, there
were a few Gadwall. Shorebirds consisted of Willet, American Oystercatchers and
a pair of Greater Yellowlegs. A dozen + Forster's Terns were actively feeding
in the pond. No other terns. Willow Flycatchers were calling at the South end,
but we did not find an earlier reported Acadian Flycatcher.

    At Big Johns Pond, a Barn Owl looked out of the box watching the Snowy
Egrets fishing while both Night-Herons (mostly Black-crowns) surrounded the
pool. Catbirds and a Yellow Warbler flitted about. A tranquil and lovely view.

A great summer birding morning on the East Pond with 38 Species seen. BUT, no
white-faced ibis!

Sy