Hi,

I was interested to check the status of the Cliff swallow along Pelham Bay
shore this year. A kayaking trip there this week revealed the presence of at
least 19 Cliff swallows along the shore, active in 10 completed or ongoing
nests on 2 sites:

- 14 adults active in 7 completed nests on the South-West side of the City
Island temporary bridge, close to Pelham Bay shore. I assumed for that count
that the same swallow don't enter more than one nest.
- at least 5 adults building 3 nests on the East side of Pelham Bridge (2 pairs on the
South-East side, and at least one individual building a nest on the North-East part).
These ongoing "nests" are in a very early stage. As last year, the flying
adults give great views from the side walk of that bridge.

So if the 2 nests found by Jack Rothman on the Orchard Beach buildings are
still active, there are 11 or 12 active Cliff swallow pairs in the Pelham Bay
area. This is still modest compared to some colonies upstate but it seems it
keeps increasing: 2 pairs in 2010 (Richard Aracil and Jared Cole, first e-bird
nesting account for the location), 7 pairs in 2015 (J. Rothman and myself,
second nesting account). The main change this year is the successful adoption
of the new City Island temporary bridge. Hopefully the future City Island
bridge will provide similar nesting opportunities as the current one.

ebird checklist with some pictures here:

Matthieu

PS. By the way some of the confirmed (and expected) breeding bird I got in
Pelham Bay park include Common tern, Brown trashers, Orchard orioles, Eastern
kingbirds, Tree swallows (in particular 2 nests boxes are occupied and 1 pair
curiously nested in an horizontal traffic light tube over Pelham Bay bridge),
Willow flycatchers, Blue-gray gnatcatchers, Yellow warblers (abundant), Barn
swallows, Killdeers.