At dawn this morning there was a spectacular fly-out of Laughing Gulls at Plum
Beach, Kings, with hundreds of birds streaming east to west along the entire
width of Rockaway Inlet, joined by hundreds more arriving from the the creeks
to the north. By the time I left, the flight had stopped, but Laughing Gulls
were visible in numbers everywhere I could see, along all shorelines and
feeding in flocks all over the inlet. My overall estimate is 3,000 birds.

I was also surprised to count 88 Royal Terns, with 73 resting on a bar at Plum
at one time, plus 15 scattered around the inlet.

I had to leave before satisfying myself that no Franklin's Gull was present,
and also before the passerine morning flight got going. Highlights of the last
were 23 American Pipits.

Shai Mitra
Bay Shore, NY