YOUR VOTE MATTERS!
[exercise your right early]

__________
Central Park, Manhattan, N.Y. City
Monday, 7 November, 2016 -

There has been a Lincoln's Sparrow in the upper SE portion of the
Great Hill for some days now, brought (back) to my attention thanks to
Tom Perlman, who had seen it several times & again on Sunday, 11/6;
this bird has been photographed nicely as well in that area, in recent
days.  Of other sparrow species, a decent variety now includes some
more "Red" Fox Sparrows, a few Field, & diminished no's. of Chipping,
Savannah, & a White-crowned or two (Strawberry Fields), as well as
more numerous Swamp & Song, plus many hundreds of White-throated
Sparrow and Dark-eyed Junco; some Eastern Towhees in scattered
locations.

There are still warblers here & there in the park; this was the 2nd
day when I was UNable to find a glimpse of a Chat in the park -
interesting that there may have been a couple of the latter species in
Manhattan very recently - the favored spots in the areas nearer to the
western edges of this island we call Manhattan - & in Central, this
Monday ahead of election day, there were at least: Black-throated
Blue, Pine, Palm (several), Ovenbird (several), Common Yellowthroat,
and Myrtle Warblers - others may yet be present - or turn up.  (Blue-
winged Warbler photographed in northern Maine on 11/7 is an example!)

The reservoir continues to host Hooded Mergansers, Buffleheads,
Northern Shovelers, Gadwalls, and a Wood Duck or three, plus modestly
increasing Ruddy Ducks, and in the morning, over 400 gulls in view (I
stopped counting at 400+, & more were still arriving then).  The Meer
is also hosting Hooded Merganser, and The Pond (SE part of park)
continues to have American Coot and brightly-plumaged Wood Ducks
(drake & hen are both present).

Some other species around the park continue to include both Kinglet
species, both Nuthatches, Hermit Thrushes, Winter Wren, Gray Catbird,
& a few Purple Finches - a Blue-headed Vireo or two, as well ("late"
but some others are turning up in city parks just lately) - and a
Rusty Blackbird at the Gill is also (I believe same individual) moving
about the Ramble a bit now.

IF seeing a hummingbird (hey, I have some experiences on this:-) at
this time of year, anytime from now thru March, check it closely -
chances are increasingly greater by mid-November on thru the winter
that it is a "vagrant" and not a northeastern-breeding species hanging
around - &, Pennsylvinia's now had its' 2nd-record for Anna's
Hummingbird, so take a 2nd & then a 3rd look & try to obtain photos of
any humminbird seen in this season!

I've been noting (in person) to some birders that Evening Grosbeak
'ought be' sought in our city, and nearby, with so many reports of the
species from New England & upstate New York - and the species-arrival
in Brooklyn has confirmed the notion that they can be in our SE NY
area.  Good bird to know the flight and other calls for, &-but, at
least in Central Park, unless coming definitively from overhead, a
visual ID as well may be needed to confirm actual bird[s], & not a
recording, therel

- - - - - - - - - - -
"It's Time to Face Your Demons" -
'Heart Vs. Mind' - I PREVAIL / MUSIC & LYRICS:
BRIAN BURKHEISER, RICHARD JULIUS VANLERBERGHE, STEVE MENOIAN, LEE
RUNESTAD, BERNARD JAMES PERRY

Good Birding, and remember to VOTE !!!

(and with apologies to Ol' Blue-eyes - Francis Albert recorded this
with Chrissie Hynde, nee' The Pretenders, on Duets II 1994) -
Luck Be a LADY, Tue[sday]night.

tom fiore -
manhattan