We headed out to Montauk Pt. yesterday morning, hoping that Montauk’s history
of November rarities might still hold true. There was a good number of gulls at
the point, dominated by Laughing Gulls, with Bonaparte’s Gulls mixed in.
Despite extensive searching we could only find a single Parasitic Jaeger
harassing the gulls. All three scoters were present, with Black Scoter (1000+)
the most frequently observed. Common Eider was scarce - we found only three at
the Point. At Deep Hollow Ranch an Immature (Blue) Snow Goose was present with
some four hundred Canada Geese. At Fort Pond Cemetery we discovered an
Orange-crowned Warbler. Hook Pond had numerous Canada Geese (1800+) but nothing
unusual. At Mecox Inlet we found two White-rumped Sandpipers and three
Semipalmated Plovers among the more expected Dunlin, Sanderling, and
Black-bellied Plovers.

Ken & Sue Feustel