I got a "late" start today, arriving at Jones Beach at around 9:20. Highlights
included continuing flocks of gannets on the move, a Fox Sparrow, and some
raptor activity. Hempstead Lake hosted a cooperative late Blue-headed Vireo,
which I closely examined to rule out the possibility of similar late species.
Bobby's report of Ash-throated Flycatcher lured me back into the field, and we
found the bird without much difficulty at Lido West Town Park. We also found a
Pine Warbler and some mentioned a nearby Black-throated Green. A chatter call
drew the attention of the assembled birders to a drab young oriole, which
appeared to simply be a Baltimore but photos will be reviewed just in case.
Brendan and I headed down the beach to scan some large gull flocks which were
visible to the east. Parking at Camp Anchor put us in a perfect spot to view
the loafing and feeding birds. Brendan quickly pulled out a first-year Glaucous
coming our way to land on the sand, and I spotted a Humpback Whale near the
horizon which we saw spouting several times as it traveled west. A nice day out
in nature!

Cheers!
-Tim H