The current intent of the list as given on the list's website is not what
Kevin McGowan indicated may or may not be the original intent - and I've
pointed this out recently - its even linked at the end of every message.
Certainly this has not been a purely RBA list for quite some time -
although that's more difficult to demonstrate given that there weren't any
list archives (!) for quite some time either.

eBird is only one tiny notch up from just a basic list of species.  The
eBird reports - and I use them for trip research - are frequently without
context so they read as:

an interesting bird was seen somewhere in tens of acres of habitat

and the lack of narrative is hopeless if you want to go find anything
that's of interest to you that might drop below the anointed level of
rarity.  I believe that eBird has damaged local birding lists by the
removal of context from sightings.  IMHO, that context is extremely
valuable to all level of birders and why I run my own list as I do.  I've
mostly stopped reporting sightings to eBird for this reason.

So no, eBird is not the solution.

Phil Jeffrey
Princeton