Dear Martin & all,

The 'white goose' with the Canada Goose flocks that gather & feed on the Parade Ground of Van Cortlandt Park (Bronx County, NY) is a Snow Goose; simply by size relative to the many Canadas it is with, we can be rather certain of that. Details observed with closer scoping and good photos, especially of the head and bill, fully confirm this bird as a Snow (& not a Ross's) Goose. The Snow Goose has been quite regular in appearing at the Parade Ground and the nearby lake; this bird was present at the time I discovered the Pink-footed Goose there, which latter has not been seen in about 3 weeks now at that Bronx site. (I saw the Snow Goose again at 4pm this Friday, 20 January 2017.)
------
Date:   1/20/2017
From:   Carney, Martin
Subject:        [nysbirds-l] Van Cortlandt White Goose
I observed a white goose with many Canada geese in the northwest quadrant
of the parade grounds at Van Cortlandt Park today around 3:30 pm. I
believe it is a Snow Goose but would love more opinions (particularly the
kind that would make it a Ross's Goose!). Happy Birding....Martin Carney

Good birding,

Tom Fiore
manhattan