A Northern Waterthrush reported with many details by Pete Morris (to
eBird) at Southards Pond Park, in Suffolk County today (2/11/'2017) is
extraordinary, for date and for survival: I leave to others how many
mid-February records NY State has of this species (or of either
waterthrush species)!
See: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S34308665

Gull-fanciers may find this discussion of interest, despite the
Florida location; a rare event, if what it may seem to be.
http://www.inaturalist.org/observations/4938662
_______
Saturday, 11 February, 2017
Central Park,  Manhattan,  N.Y. City

Despite a good many birders out seeking & scanning, it seems there was
NO sighting of a Glaucous (or any other "white-winged") Gull, this
Saturday at the Central Park reservoir;  a Red-necked Grebe was again
present, that being the one released after rehab, on Wed, 1st
February; an astute observer noticed today that there *may* be a wing-
issue on this individual; we hope it is capable of flight at a time
when it desires to depart the reservoir - it has been feeding well.
(Thanks, Graham B.)

Other species NOT seen by me (nor reported to my knowledge this
Saturday 2/11 at the reservoir) were common merganser & ring-necked
ducks.  Hooded Mergansers were again present in the multiple & at
various times mid-day & into afternoon, gulls of the typical 3 species
were on & over the reservoir, with much coming & going, re-shuffling
among flocks, & generally enough gull activity that a single,
different species could reasonably have made an appearance for a bit,
& gone off to where the CP reservoir gulls go when not visiting that
site. (a history of "white-winged" gulls in Central suggests these
birds might well reappear any time in the coming 8+ weeks, and perhaps
best hours to seek are from late morning into the afternoon, but that
timing can vary!

Red-headed Woodpecker (1st year, some red now in head) continues near
(just west of) East 68th Street within the park's eastern side, & many
of the other species that have been seen over the winter are still
present, in their respective areas of the park.

“This thing of darkness - I acknowledge mine.”
from - 'The Tempest' - by William Shakespeare

good birding and great respecting of all wildlife,

Tom Fiore
manhattan