Hello Listers!

OK, so the NYSOA County & State Listing deadline is just 2 days away. A
friend of mine pointed out that some time ago I wrote a simple tutorial on
how to use eBird to easily grab your state and county totals for the NYSOA
County & State Listing project/competition. Why didn't I think of that a
long time ago? Is old age creeping up on me? Or is it just that these
rarities keep showing up to distract me? (I prefer to think it's the
latter!)

In any case, I hope the simple "how-to" below will help some of you get your
report in for 2016. Remember, you can submit just one number (e.g. state
life total, county life total, etc.) or as many as you wish to!  All numbers
for the NYSOA report are LIFE totals with one exception - you can enter your
NYS year total if you wish to.

So if you'd like to give it a try between now and Wednesday for the 2016
report, below are the easy-peasy steps using eBird!

Carena Pooth

NYSOA (New York State Ornithological Association, a non-profit 501(c)(3)
organization

1.      Just to give you an easy way to jot down the numbers, print the
form: http://nybirds.org/CountyLists/web2016/CountyListForm2016.pdf
<http://nybirds.org/CountyLists/web2016/CountyListForm2016.pdf%20>

As you complete the steps below, write the numbers onto page 2 of the form.

When you have all the numbers you want to submit, you can enter them online
at
http://nybirds.org/CountyLists/web2016/CountyReportingForm2016.html

Or you can complete page 1 as well and get the whole thing to me by email or
fax (see details on form).

2.      Go to http://ebird.org/content/ebird/ and login.

STATE TOTALS (as of 12/31/16):

3.      Click My eBird and then the "State/Province" tab.

4.      For your NYS LIFE total, use the "Life" number shown for New York.
If you're not sure whether you picked up any new NYS lifers since 12/31/16,
do the following:

a.         Click the number in the "Life" column.

b.        On the next screen, click the word "Date" (the rightmost column
header).
  That will sort the sightings by date.

c.         Scroll to the bottom to see if any new lifers in 2017; use the
appropriate number from column 1.

5.      For your NYS YEAR total:

a.      Click My eBird and then the "State/Province" tab.

b.      Click the number in the "Year" column next to New York.

c.       On the next screen, change the year above the listing to 2016.

d.      Scroll to the bottom and use the number in column 1 for your NYS
2016 year list total.

COUNTY LIFE TOTALS (as of 12/31/16):

6.      Click My eBird and then the "County" tab.

7.      For your NYSOA county listing report, you will be entering only LIFE
numbers for counties, so for the most part you can just use the "Life"
number shown for each county. If you're not sure whether you picked up a new
county lifer since 12/31/16, do the following for each county you want to
check:

a.       Click the number in the Life column.

b.      On the next screen, click the word "Date" (the rightmost column
header). That will sort the sighting by date.

c.       Scroll to the bottom to see if any new lifers in 2017; use the
appropriate number from column 1.

One last thing.MAKE SURE YOU DON'T COUNT SPECIES THAT ARE NOT ON THE
Checklist of the Birds of New York State in your totals (e.g. Chukar or new
NYS species not yet accepted by NYSARC). The checklist is online at
http://nybirds.org/Publications/ChecklistNYS.htm.

Want to add REGIONAL TOTALS?  These are a little more complicated if you
keep track of your numbers using only eBird. Drop me an email at
car...@prodigy.net <mailto:car...@prodigy.net>  if you'd like to know how to
approach those using eBird data.