This U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service article links to many wonderful tributes to a
great American ornithologist -
https://www.fws.gov/news/blog/index.cfm/2017/3/21/Renowned-FWS-Ornithologist-Chandler-Robbins-Dies

<https://www.fws.gov/news/blog/index.cfm/2017/3/21/Renowned-FWS-Ornithologist-Chandler-Robbins-Dies>

- - - - - - - - - - - -
Wednesday, 22 March, 2017
Central Park, Manhattan, N.Y. City

On a 2nd (full) day of spring, that wind-chill & actual air temperature felt a
bit wintry even as snow piled up just a few days before has been melting, most
gone from this melting-pot-city park… (those under a certain age may look up
“melting pot”) -

4 Killdeer were out on the south side of the Sheep Meadow in afternoon, at
least one either ‘standing guard’ or simply transfixed by the views of an upper
Manhattan sky-line… while the other three fed, somehow in rather chilled, but
not entirely-frozen (at that hour) ground.  The number of American Robins in
the southern third of the park was approximately 100 times that of these 4
killdeer - yet as I made my way, against a lot of the wind, thru the park
towards the north and then west, the numbers of robins seemed to diminish, a
lot.  In keeping with that theme, overall in the past few days, it seemed a
great many birds that had been arriving, and perhaps a few of those wintering,
have pushed on, after the storm loosened it’s snowy grip a bit. There are
certainly few if any E. Phoebes in the past several days, & no signs of Pine
Warblers I’ve been able to detect again, & precious few[er] Fox Sparrows, or
Juncos, or of course - woodcocks… as so many of the latter, for which there
were survivors and at least some that gained a bit - fed & fattened a little -
and managed to move on, towards or to breeding grounds.  Of waterfowl, many
ducks seem to have moved on as well - oh, there are N. Shovelers galore still
to be seen, and also a fair number of Ruddys, and even still today, an American
Wigeon, a few Wood Ducks, a Pintail, & assorted others, as well as coots, a
pied-billed grebe or two, and a motley few more waterbirds… but that next
‘wave’, the one that shows spring really has arrived here, will await… lots of
buds and blooms are waiting as well… & with any bit of warmth beyond the freeze
we are (briefly?) in now, many insects are awaiting emergence too.

The Red-headed Woodpecker ,now in good coming-of-age color, is continuing in
the area just west of East 68th Street within the park; in mid-afternoon today,
its’ chatters seemed to be saying “enough with this wind, already”…   A (lone?)
Purple Finch sat & gave some song (in a female-type plumage) from a perch in
the eastern edge of the Ramble.

———
"Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will." -
Frederick Douglass, American.

Good birding,

Tom Fiore,
manhattan