Jones Beach Strip; 24 March

Overcast, blustery day. Joe Giunta and I (Sy Schiff) birded the the Joes beach
strip out to Captree Island. Starting at the Coast Guard Station, the bar
contained a pair of AMERICAN OYSTERCATCHERS and 7 PIPING PLOVER. Approx. 300
DUNLIN were flying about and landed on the far side of the inlet.  Single
BOAT-TAILED GRACKLES were seen here and a various stops all the way out to
Captree SP and Captree Island. There we found a GREAT EGRET in the marsh.

At Oak Beach, we missed the grebes, but found lots of LONG-TAILED DUCKS
everywhere and both Loons. A GREAT CORMORANT  was seen on the rocks in the far
distance.

Small birds were virtually absent in the blowing wind.

Sy