Hi Harold/All,

The 4-mile stretch of road along Route 30 shortly after passing Lake Eaton
Campground all the way to Sabattis Circle Road (entrance closer to Long Lake)
passes through great boreal habitat with Black-backed Woodpeckers, Gray Jays
(pairs every ½ to 1 mile), and Boreal Chickadees (and last year, a Northern
Saw-whet Owl nested in this area – and an Amer. Bittern nested at the marsh).
Of course the problem is that it is along a 55 mph highway!  (So I prefer to
bird quiet Sabattis Circle Road.)  Just remember that it is perfectly legal to
park along the highway as long as you are outside the white line (which is
sometimes difficult for me after snowstorms when I can’t get my car over the
line!).  Most of the troopers seem to know my vehicles well now, but if they
see a parked car they don’t know, they will stop to make sure you are ok – it
is nice to let them know you are birding and thank them for asking!  It is a
heavily patrolled area and I often see a half dozen state police cars when
going between Long Lake and Tupper Lake.  There is very little traffic at dawn,
so the earlier the better if you want to bird this roadway.  I often owl this
area too in addition to Sabattis Circle Road (where 3 species nest – Great
Horned, Barred, and Northern Saw-whet).  It is very rare to encounter any cars
on Route 30 during the night.  Much of the land is private and posted (so
mostly roadside birding), but there are some areas of state land.

I’ll try to answer your question with mileage…I feed Gray Jays next to a marsh
that spans both sides of the road.  It is ~1 mile north of John Dillon Park and
~1.3 miles south of the entrance to Sabattis Circle Road closest to Long Lake.
From Sabattis Circle Road heading south, there are a series of cascading hills
and the marsh is at the lowest point (there are a number of marshes in this
area).  I have found Boreal Chickadees on both sides of the marsh (on both
sides of the road).  They sometimes perch over my head as I put down food for
the other birds – it appears just out of curiosity since they don’t eat the
food!  Black-backed Woodpeckers are often found here too.  Sadly, I have been
hearing active logging going on west of this location.

Joan Collins

President, NYS Ornithological Association

Editor, New York Birders

Long Lake, NY

(315) 244-7127 cell

(518) 624-5528 home