4/24/17 Long Lake (Hamilton Co.)

My nicest feeder was on the ground this morning - a huge platform feeder on
a substantial pole.  The ground-anchor section (thick metal) was broken -
there is only one animal capable of doing that!  It appears the Black Bears
are awake.  The pole was broken, but my feeder survived - and is now down
for the season!

I live very closely with Wild Turkeys and I have had a lot of opportunity to
observe their behavior - the males have very complex social groupings.  The
local alpha male and his side-kick decided to peck my car again today.  The
behavior becomes obsessive - I would convince them to leave and they would
come running back to peck the car again!

We've been hearing Barred Owls every night over our baby monitor.

4/23/17 Long Lake and Tupper Lake (Franklin Co.)

I observed the Tupper Lake Sandhill Crane pair around 2:30 p.m. yesterday
after a meeting.  The marsh is still flooded, but there are enough areas
above water for them to forage now.  I found one bird alone and as I watched
it, it took flight - flying a few hundred feet to its mate.  Then it
trumpeted - beautiful!  I drove Sabattis Circle Road in the morning and
found 2 Gray Jays - very stealthy (they are likely feeding young now).  I
also heard a first-of-the-season Blue-headed Vireo.  They seem quite late
coming back this year.  There were many Ruffed Grouse along the road.

Joan Collins

President, NYS Ornithological Association

Editor, New York Birders

Long Lake, NY

(315) 244-7127 cell

(518) 624-5528 home