Feathers...Not Just a Downy Covering

Wednesday, May 10, 2017

The feathers of birds are one of the many traits that help identify our winged
friends.  Not only do feathers help birds stay aloft and warm, they also play a
role in attracting mates, as well as creating sound.Feathers are what make a
bird a bird.

Come learn more about the important functions and uses of these highly modified
reptilian scales.

About the speaker: Professor Doug Robinson, PhD, is an evolutionary biologist
whose teaching and research experiences have focused on organismal biology and
behavior. He has taught classes on animal behavior, ecology, ornithology,
vertebrate biology, general biology, environmental science, and anatomy and
physiology. He guided a group of students to New Zealand for an 18-day trip as
part of his studies. The questions that guide his  research revolve around how
behavior is shaped by ecological and  social environments.

Refreshments begin at 6:45. Announcements and speaker at 7:20.

Check out our other upcoming events and activities in May!

Best,
Stella MillerPresidentHuntington-Oyster Bay Audubonhttp://www.hobaudubon.org/