Central Park NYC
Sunday, July 16, 2016
OBS: Robert DeCandido, PhD, Deborah Allen, m.ob.

We couldn't relocate yesterday's Yellow-billed or Black-billed Cuckoos.

Barn Swallows are doing well at the north end of the Reservoir, with all the
young birds fledged. This morning I counted at least 17 Barn Swallows flying
around the buildings at the Reservoir's north end. At one point I could see 8
young birds perched on one building and 4 perched on another. The young
swallows impressed me with their energy and their ability to keep up with their
parents.

Last night I had gotten an email from Pat Dubren about an incident at the
Reservoir. This morning she sent me photos. Then Junko emailed today.
Basically, Junko spotted a Barn Swallow fledgling that had fallen into the
water at the Reservoir Saturday (July 15). After swimming a short distance the
young bird was sitting on some reeds at water level when it was killed and
eaten by a Red-eared Slider. Pat took a series of photos which are not for the
faint-of-heart.

On a lighter note, this morning Warbling Vireos fledged near the north end of
Iphigene's Walk. We got great looks at an adult feeding a fledgling, then Jeff
Ward & I watched the fledgling attempt to fly after one of the adults. It
fluttered down, and Jeff spotted it on the ground. The young bird hopped up on
a low branch, and the adult found it immediately.

Here are a few photos from Saturday & Sunday.

Warbling Vireo Fledgling (Flying & Perched) near Iphigene’s Walk, Sunday July
16, 2017:

https://www.photo.net/photo/18408385

https://www.photo.net/photo/18408376

Black-billed Cuckoo at Azalea Pond, Saturday July 15, 2017:

https://www.photo.net/photo/18408402

Waiting for Warblers,

Deb Allen