Early this afternoon there was a BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPER foraging on the edge
of the southern large puddle at the Burgess Rd. X Lower Lake Rd. eBird hotspot
in the town of Somerset.  This puddle is best viewed from Burgess Rd looking
west.  There was also a large flock of peeps dominated by Semipalmated
Sandpipers along with a handful of Semipalmated Plovers and Least Sandpipers.
The flock eventually flushed and I did not see it land again after waiting
about 20 minutes.  Some of the flock may have gone to the large puddle on the
north side of Lower Lake Rd., but I could not re-find the Buff-breasted
Sandpiper there. As Willie D’Anna has mentioned in previous posts, visibility
is better here now since the fields have been plowed; however, heat waves were
making viewing quite difficult in the afternoon sun. My eBird list with
horrible/distant photos of the Buff-breasted Sandpiper can be viewed here:

<http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38798494>

I later went to the Ellicott Rd. eBird hotspot in the town of Hartland, located
about 0.45 miles west of Checkered Tavern Rd.  This flooded field held 9
species of shorebirds highlighted by two WILSON’S PHALAROPES putting on a good
show as they were actively foraging.  My eBird list with photos of the
phalaropes can be found here:

<http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38801030>

Best,
Joel Strong