About 30 birders participated in the New York State Ornithological
Association’s Sunday field trip at the Montezuma wetlands complex. The outing,
led by Kevin McGowan, capped off the NYSOA's shorebird weekend that included a
Saturday workshop at the Montezuma Audubon Center and dinner in Seneca Falls.
The field trip gave us a chance to practice using Kevin’s techniques and tips
for identifying these challenging birds. At Benning Marsh we had good views of
a single Pectoral Sandpiper with Semipalmated Sandpipers, Least Sandpipers,
Semipalmated Plovers, and Lesser Yellowlegs. At Knox-Marcellus we saw many of
the same birds but also added a Ruddy Turnstone, Stilt Sandpipers, White-rumped
Sandpiper, Greater Yellowlegs, Short-billed Dowitcher, and a juvenile Wilson’s
Phalarope that was a life bird for some of us. A young Sora also popped in and
out of the cattails. Many thanks to Kevin for a wonderfully informative and
helpful workshop and a terrific birding experience.

Kathryn Schneider
for NYSOA