They’re amazing numbers - it’s likely you’re seeing post breeding juvenile
groups. How and why these groups form and function is part of Bernd
Heinrich’s classic studies. Two of his books - 'Mind of the Raven' and
'Ravens in Winter' are both worth reading on this. (Especially the latter -
one of my favorite books)

As in interesting corollary - I’m also seeing way more ravens right now
back on my upland farm in the northern UK. They were rare here before I
moved to the US. The winter courtship is well underway and nesting will
start soon. Although nothing like your numbers, the range expansion seems
truly widespread. Great news!

cheers,
Dom

*Dominic Garcia-Hall*