I agree strongly with John and Angus. The consequences for the eBird Hot 100
are at most not very important and at least potentially amusing. I thought
everybody knew they were supposed to keep track of their own lists, rather than
to trust in the algorithms of strangers!

More specifically, regarding European Goldfinches in the New York City area
now, the numbers of birds present and the area occupied are large enough to
suggest establishment. Perhaps not everybody is aware that this species
established breeding populations on western Long Island for decades. It is even
conceivable that these were never completely extirpated, and that today's birds
derive at least in part from those naturalized populations (but they are
certainly at least partly derived from recent escapes, as proven by the
presence of plastic leg bands on some). The best argument against the
hypothesis of demographic continuity between the period of establishment and
the current resurgence in reported abundance is that very few or none were
reported for several decades. But this is at best a weak argument from negative
data that are known to be systematically biased against reporting.

Monk Parakeets provide a parallel example that is very instructive. This
species established breeding populations in the New York City/Long Island
region that were fairly large and widespread by the early 1970s. These were
subjected to eradication programs during the mid-1970s, and perceptions shifted
to the extent that NYSARC acted (overly boldly in my opinion) to remove the
species from the official New York State Checklist in 1982. Reports almost
ceased during this period, but we know in this case that the gap in documented
occurrence was an error arising from two sources: because backyard birders who
liked the parakeets concealed their presence to protect them from destruction;
but also because the remaining birds were perceived as "not countable" by
competitive birders.

Today's thread illustrates that under-reporting of "not countable" species has
persisted in birding culture, to the detriment of our ability to infer the
actual statuses of non-native species.

Shai Mitra
Bay Shore