I checked several known fresh water spots in South East Queens this morning
finding all them either frozen over or almost frozen.

Just for anyone interested in the spots, here is a summary: Springfield Park  -
Frozen Over
Idlewild Preserve - Frozen Over
Brookville Park - the pond is almost frozen over with a small sliver of open
water on the north end where the water begins to stream north. Mostly Canada
Geese and Mallards were tucked in that area. This spot is known for holding
Greater Yellowlegs; none there today.

At Baisley Pond - two small areas of open water the most productive is all the
way at the north end. The numbers of Redheads continue to hold steady and I
counted 97 today a few more than my January 2nd count of 94. Other waterfowl
numbers were down most notably among the Ring-necked Ducks. Down to 27 today
from 43 noted on January 2nd.

I saw Bob Anderson who informed me that the Ross's Goose was reported earlier.
It was not on the pond during the time I was there and neither was it on the
field (south of the pond across Rockaway Blvd) where it was later refound by
Tim Healy.  I have been trying to nail down where the Geese relocate to from
the pond and it appears they are using several sites. If I am able to better
pin down their movements, I will share the details.

Continuing to Brooklyn, I covered Bush Army Terminal, Greavesend Bay and
Caesar's Bay.

Nothing of note at Bush Army Terminal.

At Greavesend Bay, there were Lesser and Greater Scaup giving close looks. In
that area a couple of Purple Sandpipers were gleaning food from rocks that were
not iced over. The Gulls present were the expected species.

Ceasar's Bay did not hold much with small numbers of Ring-billed Gulls.

A Turkey Vulture was a surprise sighting near the Fort Hamilton Exit.

Stay warm and safe.

Cheers,

--------
"I prefer to be true to myself, even at the hazard of incurring the ridicule of
others, rather than to be false, and to incur my own abhorrence." ~ Frederick
Douglass

風 Swift as the wind
林 Quiet as the forest
火 Conquer like the fire