Some new arrivals at least for me the past few mornings in a walk up the
landfill and out to Teller's Point, included Eastern Phoebe (2), a singing
Eastern Towhee (on the wine cellar low road), a seemingly serious uplift too in
the numbers of flickers, common grackles, cowbirds and red wing blackbirds,
also saw a few of the meadowlarks that have been up on the land fill.  Raptors
were around as well, two harriers (including a grey ghost), at least two
American kestrel, 2 red shouldered hawks flying north, one coop, one merlin,
the resident red tails, one lingering eagle (or more likely a local bird), and
a few blue heron flyovers, -- osprey are on the light stanchion in the train
station parking lot where they have nested the past several years.  I struck
out hoping to see some waterfowl moving up river; virtually nothing either on
the river side or the bay side.

The highlight (maybe because spring seems so slow in coming) was my first
butterflies of the season - a lady (not sure which), and a beautiful morning
cloak.  And they of course got me to a song, and in turn the myriad of
incredible singer/songwriters Texas has spawned - the more popular e.g. Willie
Nelson, Townes van Zandt, Nanci Griffith, Steve Earle,  Lyle Lovett, Waylon
Jennings, Kris Kristofferson, Lee Ann Womack, Delbert McClinton, the less so,
e.g. Doug Sahm, Freddie Fender, Lyle Lovett, Joe Ely, Guy Clark, Susanna Clark,
Billy Joe Shaver, Alejandro Escovedo, Butch Hancock, Jimmie Dale Gilmore,
Rodney Crowell, Robert Earl Keen, Kasey Musgraves, Hayes Carll,  and the more
obscure, Roky Erickson, James McMurtry, Ray Wylie Hubbard, Tish Hinojosa, Adam
Carroll, Carrie Rodriguez, Bruce Robison, and Terri Hendrix  -  and the many,
many I have certainly left out.

What came to mind particularly upon seeing the morning cloak was the beautiful
song perhaps more apt for a swallowtail, "Butterfly Wing" by one of the more
obscure Mr. Jon Dee Graham --- the way he uses a single common word "that" as a
thread to hold a song together; great writing.  So Happy Spring, Happy Easter,
Happy April Fool's Day, Happy baseball season, and here's to my old friends and
you lepidopterists out there:  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tNFOPc5g3QE

L.  Trachtenberg
Ossining