It does not always pan out but I have always liked my chances on bad weather
producing good birds. Today was a good day in Queens (Cube would approve).

A 1st Summer Arctic was seen briefly this morning on the tide edge with Common
Terns. Observed last heading out towards the ocean in the direction of the
Silver Gull Club. It never turned back as far as I could follow it with bins.

As if this was not lucky enough, an adult SANDWICH TERN that I spotted offshore
then lost, was unexpectedly found loafing with Common Terns on the beach. It
stuck around long enough for good documentation via phonescoping.

A Red Knot was also a nice surprise on the beach during the intermittent rain.

There were several banded birds observed. Multiple American Oystercatchers, a
2CY Herring Gull and a Common Tern. I was able to read and document all of the
bands.

For those of us who have worked with him. We will sadly no longer have the
services of Mr. Plover himself, Tony Luscombe. Tony has decided to move on
after 22 years with NPS. He was a lovable curmudgeon and while we did not
always agree  I respected his straight talk. I will miss our exchanges for sure.

“Gamma Sennin”

--------
"I prefer to be true to myself, even at the hazard of incurring the ridicule of
others, rather than to be false, and to incur my own abhorrence." ~ Frederick
Douglass

風 Swift as the wind
林 Quiet as the forest
火 Conquer like the fire