A few sightings from the past couple weeks:

Nov. 18, 2019 Long Lake (Hamilton Co.)

Canada Jay - 10 (2 along Route 30, 2 at the Round Lake Trailhead, and 6 at
Sabattis Bog) - there are typically more than 6 Canada Jays at Sabattis Bog
at this time of year, but none of the pairs along Sabattis Road had any
young this year.

Common Raven - a pair allopreening in a tree along Sabattis Circle Road.
They vocalized the entire time with one sounding like a woman's voice -
fascinating!  I watched them for a long time.

Bohemian Waxwing - 10 in a fruit tree by a home next to the school ballfield

Pine Grosbeak - at least 4 (at least 2 males and 1 female in the mix) - in
the same tree with the Bohemian Waxwings

We are living with Wild Turkeys this winter.  There are 2 regular flocks of
8 males and 27 females (& occasionally a second female flock of 13 shows
up).  They perch on my car, on the roof of our pole-platform feeder, on our
front porch (where many roost on the porch railing during the day), up in
the trees around our house, and in our driveway.  When I walk out of the
house or get out of my car they flock around me like barnyard chickens!
They usually roost at night in trees around the house - at dawn they
parachute down for cracked corn.  I have been feeding Wild Turkeys in winter
for several years, but normally they disappear into the forest for part of
the day, and this is the first time that we've literally had them living
around the house all day and night.  There were huge numbers of Wild Turkeys
this past year in the Adirondacks.

Squirrels overpopulated this past year with the bumper cone crop on all the
coniferous trees.  They are now stressed with a low food supply.  We rarely
have Gray Squirrels at our home (usually just Red Squirrels), but they are
everywhere this year, with many observed killed in roadways (including
several today).  Today, I observed 2 Gray Squirrels allo-grooming up in the
rafters of our porch and it went on for a long time.  There are lots of
"viral" Gray Squirrel videos from squirrels doing unusual things like
swimming across huge bodies of water.  On 11/12/18, a Gray Squirrel got into
the Hannaford grocery store in Queensbury and climbed a woman who was
grocery shopping!  One of the employees was able to capture it by the back
of the neck and take it outside.  It isn't easy to capture a squirrel, so I
suspect it was suffering.  Chris Rimmer (Vermont Center for Ecostudies)
wrote an interesting blog on the huge squirrel numbers:
https://vtecostudies.org/blog/squirrel-numbers-mount-by-land-and-water/ .
We also have a Flying Squirrel visiting our feeders at night.  I often awake
to the smack sound of its landings!  (We have a baby monitor on the porch
for night sounds.)  I recently found it up on the porch rafters in the
middle of the night (adorable!) and I see its tracks in the snow on the
porch.  Cone seeds are a primary food for them (none this fall), so I
suspect many people with feeders will see Flying Squirrels this fall/winter.

Pine Siskins and American Goldfinches have been visiting feeders - mine and
others in the area, but the numbers have been decreasing.  I had another
Evening Grosbeak visiting our feeders - a male that stayed for 4 days (Nov.
5-8, 2018) and then moved on.

I heard Canada Geese on the move over our baby monitor during the night and
the movement continued during the day with both Canada and Snow Geese flocks
observed.  I noticed all the Wild Turkeys outside our house suddenly stand
up (many were laying down) and look upward.  I could hear the Canada Geese
flocks through the closed window.  It was interesting that the turkeys
responded to the sound.

11/17/18 - A solo Snow Bunting was foraging on the ice at the edge of the
outlet of Little Tupper Lake (also the inlet of Round Lake).

11/16/18 - Coming home from NH, I took the 4 p.m. Charlotte - Essex ferry
across Lake Champlain and observed a group of 22 Common Loons in the middle
of the lake!  (There were several Bufflehead on the VT side.)

11/14/16 - Heading to NH early, I stopped in Newcomb (Essex Co.) to check a
fruit tree on Sanford Lane and found a solo Pine Grosbeak eating fruit with
2 Amer. Robins.  A late male Red-winged Blackbird flew through the tree to
feeders.  As I watched the Pine Grosbeak, a flock of ~ 20 Bohemian Waxwings
flew in too!  It was so exciting that I was nearly late for the event in NH!

11/13/18 - A Snow Bunting was at our home at dawn.

11/9/18 Long Lake and Tupper Lake (Franklin Co.)

Waterfowl at the Tupper Lake causeway: Bufflehead, Hooded and Common
Mergansers.  Ring-necked Ducks were still on Shaw Pond in Long Lake.  A
Common Loon was on Long Lake (& I heard one calling at dawn echoing up from
the lake).

Ruffed Grouse - displaying along Sabattis Circle Road

Black-backed Woodpecker - male at Sabattis Bog that I observed for 45
minutes

Common Redpoll - a flock of ~ 20 in Tupper Lake on Old Wawbeek Road.  They
were feeding on birch catkins.

Amer. Tree Sparrow - several

Rusty Blackbird - as I watched the Common Redpoll flock, I heard a Rusty
Blackbird vocalizing!

On 11/8/18, I came home in late afternoon and found the Black Bear that kept
us awake on 11/6/18 when it tried to take down our platform feeder during
the night (my husband really appreciated me waking him at 1:30 a.m. to go
outside and take that feeder down for the night!).  The bear had Mange.
Roughly a third of the Black Bears that I see in the Adirondacks have Mange.
It results in a slow death for the animals and it is heartbreaking to see.
I'm sure that bear won't make it through the winter with little fur.  I've
been observing Black Bears with Mange for 2 to 3 years now.  Dr. Carvill, of
Potsdam, recently told me that a friend of his was hunting in Hopkinton (St.
Lawrence Co.) and saw a Black Bear with no fur, so it appears the problem is
widespread in northern NY.  Pennsylvania is doing a lot to combat the
problem in that state.  The Washington Post ran a story about that state's
efforts this past summer:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/animalia/wp/2018/06/04/black-bears-are-g
oing-bald-it-might-be-even-worse-than-it-looks/?utm_term=.b803451df897 .
The photos in this article are really disturbing.  I try to get photos also
to help document this problem.  I have photos of two different Black Bears
with Mange from this past year.  I am very concerned about this problem and
I suspect it will only get worse.

11/5/18 - We had 2 late Common Grackles at our feeders.

11/4/18 - About 15 birders were at the Memorial Recreation Park in Malone
(Franklin Co.) to observe the spectacle of thousands of Snow and Canada
Geese fly-in at dusk to roost on the pond.  It is right in the middle of a
suburban neighborhood and we all wondered if the birds ever become quiet
during the night!  The sound is deafening.  There were many other waterfowl
species including 2 Common Goldeneye on the pond.  I observed 10 Canada Jays
and 7 Ruffed Grouse on my drive up with side trips on Sabattis Road and Blue
Mountain & Dexter Roads in Franklin Co.

Our internet went out in the storm 9 days ago, and our provider can't get to
us (and many others in Long Lake including businesses) until mid-December!
(One of the disadvantages of living in the middle of nowhere.)  So their new
competitor has been swamped with installations and we are on that list, but
it will be another week.  We currently connect our computers through our
iPhones with barely a connection to a cell tower 20 miles away - and it is
usually too slow for web pages, but I at least manage to get email in and
out.  I'll post recent bird photos (including the Black Bear photos) to my
Facebook page as soon as I can bring my computer to a place with a good
connection in town.

A couple Red-bellied Woodpecker records to note: Bill Labes, Long Lake,
reported a male Red-bellied Woodpecker at his feeders on 11/15/18 and
11/16/18, and he heard it on 11/17/18.  This is a rare species for Long
Lake.  On the same date that Shai Mitra reported an invasion of Red-bellied
Woodpeckers migrating through Long Island (10/14/18), Jack Delehanty texted
me a photo of a male Red-bellied Woodpecker at his home in Tupper Lake
(another area where this species is rare)!

Joan Collins

Editor, New York Birders

Long Lake, NY

(315) 244-7127 cell