Tuesday, 18 December, 2018
Union Square Park, Manhattan, N.Y. City

A 1st-fall, presumed female Cape May Warbler was present again at the above
park, and again in the same area where Rob Bate had found it first the previous
day. I had to wait a bit before noticing the warbler, not terribly high in bare
trees near the w. edge of this park, roughly opposite a starbucks, as a
landmark on the adjacent street, which is Union Square West, & a bit north of
E. 15th St.

The Cape May (quite a drab bird as 1st-year females of that species can be, but
not nearly the grayest I've ever seen in that plumage) then went down into low
(but raised up from street-level) shrubs that partly surround a fully-fenced
off dark statue, just below the above-noted area, & the warbler became
extremely furtive in those shrubs; however I was able to click a number of
ID-suitable photos in a short time, and at least one from under 5 yards.

After its' brief showing in low perspective, it either went back into the
shrubs, which are extremely dense evergreens, or possibly gave me the slip by
going up & away to somewhere. I intentionally visited at an hour sort of
similar to when Rob Bate had discovered this, & the sun on Tues. afternoon was
certainly out in full, despite the comparative chill this cold-front passage
day.

I also took a much shorter time to see & photo. a couple of the other birds
lately residing at this park, including Ovenbird, Common Yellowthroat (an adult
male), & Swamp Sparrow with the usual throngs of both hungry and shopping
humans, & the also-usual-in-winter White-throated Sparrows that Manhattan sees
so long as major snows do not 'push' the latter on to the south.

The Cape May Warbler might be a 'unique' species for the Lower Hudson CBC-2018
count (week), but compilers will confirm at a future point if that is so. And
again, thanks to Rob Bate for some direction-info specific to that 1 warbler, &
of course for the find.

-  -  -  -
A note from an adjacent state (to NY), an adult-plumaged Yellow-throated
Warbler (of the race albilora) turned up in Addison County, Vermont, and that
occurence is in fact just one of many through the years in various northeast
states & some of the Canadian maritime provinces, in December & also, in a
number of cases over the decades, wintering birds. I myself have visited a
modest number of wintering Yellow-throated Warblers in the greater northeast
over the past 30+ years. Some, perhaps really all, were at least occasional, if
not quite regular, at various home feeding stations. An eBird report with fun
photos for anyone with interest in the VT sighting for 12/18/18:
https://ebird.org/vt/view/checklist/S50782919

There are more than 100 records for Yellow-throated Warbler in the northeast
states & Maritime provinces in the Dec. thru Feb. period, historically to
present day. Also, a species such as Cape May (many of which “winter”, which
actually can mean a stay of more than 6 months for some individuals, on
Caribbean isles) is not as ‘rare’ as one may assume in the month of December in
this region, but there are certainly not as many winter records of the latter
warbler as for Yellow-throated.  A good book, not the most up-to-date in many
ways, but with a wealth of information on this sort of topic, and many others
in its thorough text sections, is (late 20th century pub. date) “A Field Guide
to North American Warblers” in the Peterson field guide series, authored by Jon
L. Dunn & Kimball L. Garrett, which is still pretty available on-line & perhaps
in some shops.

good end of fall birding,

Tom Fiore
manhattan