Today when I was leaving my doctors appointment at DOCS on Central Ave. in
Yonkers I witnessed some cool predator-prey action.  I was sitting in my car
and all of a sudden I saw this blur of a large bird go behind the car parked to
the left of me about seven spaces over and an immature Red-tailed Hawk and
European Starling came tumbling across the parking lot from behind one of the
cars.  The hawk missed the starling but then both flew less than a foot above
the ground and under the two cars at which point they popped out right to the
side of my car and landed in front of my car.  I couldn't see them so slowly
got out of my car to try to get a view.  At that point the redtail flew up in
front of me about five feet away with the starling in its talons and up and
over the fence and into the woods and out of view.  All this happened in less
than a couple of minutes.  I've seen such behavior before but never so close
and never with a starling.  Quite exciting!
Andrew      Andrew v. F. Block
Consulting Naturalist
20 Hancock Avenue, Apt. 3
Yonkers, Westchester Co., New York 10705-4629
www.flickr.com/photos/conuropsis/albums