From: bounce-123574019-3714...@list.cornell.edu
[bounce-123574019-3714...@list.cornell.edu] on behalf of Shaibal Mitra
[shaibal.mi...@csi.cuny.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, May 1, 2019 11:25 AM
To: NYS Birds
Subject: RE: [nysbirds-l] White-faced Ibises Heckscher SP Suffolk Co.

The two White-faced Ibises continued in the flooded picnic area when I left
around 10:00.

Both are interesting-looking and not quite typical. One individual, the one Pat
found yesterday I think, has very limited white facial feathering and
not-very-bright (but definitely pink-red, especially in good light) facial skin
and eye. The second individual, found by Pat this morning, is more
typical-looking in these respects. Both show decidedly pink-red ankles and gray
bills--appropriate for White-faced Ibis.

Interestingly, the duller-faced bird is very large and very tawny-colored on
the neck and body--classic White-faced--whereas the brighter-faced bird looks
much more like a Glossy Ibis in terms of structure and body plumage. My best
assessment is that both are within the range of expected variation for
relatively dull adult White-faced Ibises.

Photos here:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmD9a76j

Shai Mitra
Bay Shore