From: bounce-124239688-7051...@list.cornell.edu
<bounce-124239688-7051...@list.cornell.edu> On Behalf Of Gus Keri
Sent: Thursday, January 02, 2020 7:44 AM
To: Dave Spier <ebirdfana...@gmail.com>
Cc: NYSbirds-L (post) <NYSbirds-L@cornell.edu>
Subject: Re: [nysbirds-l] NY BBA 3 has started

ATTENTION: This email came from an external source. Do not open attachments or
click on links from unknown senders or unexpected emails.

Thanks for this great project.
But I think some Birders who go birding in the west shores of Brooklyn might
get offended by naming their block (Jersey City_SE), especially that not a
square foot of the land area located in New Jersey.  :) I suggest the name (Bay
Ridge) or (Sunset Park).
This area has a lot of interesting breeding birds like Common Ravens, Fish
Crows and at one occasion, Ospreys.
Looking forward to helping with this project and Keep up the good work Gus

Sent using Zoho Mail

 ---- On Wed, 01 Jan 2020 15:44:16 -0500 Dave Spier <ebirdfana...@gmail.com>
wrote ----  > The 3rd NY Breeding Bird Atlas officially started today, January
1, 2020. We hope that you will join thousands of other birders in documenting
the state's breeding species over the next five years. New York is home to a
wonderful and diverse group of breeding birds, but it is a vast region, so we
will need your help! We encourage birders of all backgrounds, from new birders
to experienced Atlasers, to help document as many breeding birds as possible.

 > The New York Breeding Bird Atlas III website
 > (https://ebird.org/atlasny/about) contains a lot of great information about
 > the Atlas, and we encourage you to explore the many resources on the site,
 > including a new handbook. As the breeding season of many species starts
 > later in the spring, there will be more Atlas training workshops and other
 > opportunities to learn about Atlas goals and how atlasing works. If you're
 > eager to get started right away in January, here are a few key points:
 >
 > All of the data entry for the project will be via a dedicated eBird portal
 > for NY Breeding Bird Atlas III. eBird offers real-time data entry and
 > outputs, so you’ll be able to follow along with results throughout the
 > breeding season and across the entire project period.
 >
 > For this Atlas, New York State has been divided into a GPS-based system of
 > 5,710 blocks, each roughly 3.2 miles by 2.8 miles in size which is a change
 > from previous atlases.* (see https://ebird.org/atlasny/about/atlas-blocks
 > for details) From these new blocks covering the entire state, the Atlas Team
 > has selected a subset of priority blocks that are evenly distributed to
 > ensure broad coverage. To complete the Atlas, we need to adequately survey
 > all of the priority blocks, which make up 1/3 of all Atlas blocks. Priority
 > blocks contain many popular birding spots and great breeding habitats in our
 > region, and are where the focus should be. But if your backyard or favorite
 > birding destination does not fall within a priority block, you are
 > encouraged to submit your breeding observations for those areas, too.
 >
 > A new map overlay
 > (https://protect2.fireeye.com/v1/url?k=091898b9-553eace2-091a618c-000babd905ee-79967cdbd1eb6d0e&q=1&e=4ae91eaf-e099-4348-9038-d575be4cf6b8&u=https%3A%2F%2Flab.nynhp.org%2Fbba%2F)
 >  allows you to search for priority blocks near you and download detailed
 > block maps. This is also where you will be able to sign up for blocks.
 > Anybody can atlas in any Atlas block, so it is not necessary to sign up for
 > a block. But if you are especially interested in atlasing in a certain
 > block, signing up is a great way to indicate your interest and commitment in
 > documenting the breeding birds in that block.
 >
 > Only a very small number of species, particularly Great Horned Owl, might be
 > showing signs of breeding behavior in January. If you head up to the North
 > Country, you might encounter Red and/or White-winged Crossbills singing or
 > carrying twigs. This chart
 > (https://protect2.fireeye.com/v1/url?k=78625228-24446673-7860ab1d-000babd905ee-9bb4bb9392ec791c&q=1&e=4ae91eaf-e099-4348-9038-d575be4cf6b8&u=https%3A%2F%2Fs3.amazonaws.com%2Fis-ebird-wordpress-prod-s3%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fsites%2F79%2F2019%2F11%2FBreeding-Guideline-Chart.pdf)
 >  provides very detailed information about when species are breeding in New
 > York, although I would allow for some variation between the coast and the
> [...]

2)
https://protect2.fireeye.com/v1/url?k=579d66f7-0bbb52ac-579f9fc2-000babd905ee-1cf686be6d412c3f&q=1&e=4ae91eaf-e099-4348-9038-d575be4cf6b8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.surfbirds.com%2Fbirdingmail%2FGroup%2FNYSBirds-L
3)
https://protect2.fireeye.com/v1/url?k=02bac83e-5e9cfc65-02b8310b-000babd905ee-0b91e25496de338e&q=1&e=4ae91eaf-e099-4348-9038-d575be4cf6b8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fbirding.aba.org%2Fmaillist%2FNY01