Another brief update to some migrant birds in Manhattan - Please note, there is
a widespread program in N.Y. City now to distribute FREE face-masks to anyone
who requests, and this is happening around (among other areas) larger parks of
the city, with the N.Y.P.D., Urban Parks Rangers, & others present to assist
this effort. At some parks’ entrances, this may be very apparent.

--
Sunday, May 3rd - A CLAY-COLORED SPARROW, PROTHONOTARY WARBLER, and BLUE
GROSBEAK have all shown in the morning hours at Central Park’s mid-west sector

More Cape May, Bay-breasted, Worm-eating, Blackburnian, & so forth are among
the American warbler species seen in Manhattan on 5/3, including in Central
Park as well as other parks.

And of course there are many many other migrants all through the island of
Manhattan - & far beyond.  Some of the later-migrating and regular-annual
sparrows also have come in, such as Lincoln’s and White-crowned Sparrows, &
perhaps some other new arrivals amongst the sparrow tribe.  Some of these,
including the 2 aforementioned, are showing in other parks of Manhattan away
from Central Park.  The 2 most-regular shorebird species for Manhattan parks in
May, Spotted & Solitary Sandpipers are both showing in some locations as of
Sunday.

These birds are already on-record in eBird for the day, I am not broadcasting
news of these rarer species not already widely & publicly shared.  Please use
commonsense while birding, and if a particular location appears to be crowded,
try to move on once any desired bird is viewed. And also consider trying for
such species in other locations, as there may well be multiples in the area,
county, region.

A RED-HEADED WODPECKER was still present & photogrpahed Sunday morning in
Central Park, location as it’s been for over 6 months: not far from both West
97th & West 100th St. park entrances, east of the West Drive (park roadway).  I
briefly visited Bryant Park (in midtown Manhattan) and in a very brief time saw
& heard both Baltimore & Orchard Oriole, & Rose-breasted Grosbeak, as well as
seeing a few thrushes, a couple of warblers, & at least 1 Blue-headed Vireo;
however I did not have an impression of ‘fallout’ at that park in my quick tour.

More reports in a day or two.

good birding and safe spatial-distancing,

Tom Fiore
manhattan