Gus,

I reached out to a Gateway contact to see if they can get this nest protected.

Thanks.

Joe

From: bounce-124641923-10871...@list.cornell.edu
<bounce-124641923-10871...@list.cornell.edu> On Behalf Of Gus Keri
Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 3:47 PM
To: Birding alert, NYSBirds, Birding alert <nysbirds-l@cornell.edu>
Subject: [nysbirds-l] Oystercatcher nest in unprotected area

Hi everyone,

I know we are not supposed to reveal nesting locations but I think everyone who
is going to visit Plumb beach should be aware of this one. I have never seen a
nest in this place which is not protected and have many people and dogs roaming
the beach.

Today, I found an Oystercatcher nest in a very open area where birders walk
sometimes. I know because I walked this area many time before, particularly, in
search of Sparrows. And it is very easy for any one to step over the eggs
accidently.

The nest is located at the far east end, near the large wooden board. I posted
few photos on my eBird list to make it easy to find the nest.
You can see them here:
https://ebird.org/checklist/S69331372<https://ebird.org/checklist/S69331372>

Unfortunately, nothing can be done about off-leash dogs which is a common
problem in this place. Although, for some reason, I have not run into any dogs
during my last two visits. I don't know if the social distancing secondary to
the Coronavirus has any thing to do with.

I have a reason to believe that social distancing and stay-at-home policy have
allowed for the Oystercatchers to build a nest on this beach.

So, please, If you are planning to go to Plumb beach, watch your steps.

Gus Keri

1)
http://www.mail-archive.com/nysbirds-l@cornell.edu/maillist.html<http://www.mail-archive.com/nysbirds-l@cornell.edu/maillist.html>
2)