Hi all,
Spent from 5pm to 9:30pm looking for rails and trying to see what the cranes
were up to.  No luck on the Soras or Kings (if they are still breeding here),
but did have a Virginia briefly call during the day.  I wonder if the rails
there start calling at 10pm like they do in CT?  I wonder because I certainly
didn't hear them before I left.  The cranes do seem to be on a nest since I saw
the female acting as though she was on one but it was hard to see the nest
behind the plants.  She was acting like she was turning eggs and then she sat
down.  The male was by himself about 300-400ft away.  I guess that would be
confirmed breeding then.  I observed the male for most of the afternoon and
evening and he never ventured near the nest site nor did the female come off
the nest site.  Interesting.
Also seen as confirmed even though just south in NJ were two families of
Mallards, two Canada Geese families, two Pied-billed Grebe families and two
Wood Duck families.  Many pairs of Common Gallinules were also seen as well as
a Least Bittern.  After dark I had a Big Brown Bat and Hoary Bat (a new species
for me).
Andrew
Andrew v. F. Block
Consulting Naturalist
20 Hancock Avenue, Apt. 3
Yonkers, Westchester Co., New York 10705-4780
www.flickr.com/photos/conuropsis/albums