The RBA on Friday, mentioned a problem with the East Pond water level.  It was
an understatement. On Independence Day, Don Riepe and I visited the outflow on
the bayside to check on the drainage and found that the valve was buried and
hardly a trickle of water leaving the pond.

It would have been easy to give up on the Season given how high the water is
but no!  I subsequently sent out an e-mail to NPS management who responded with
a plan to dig out the valve this AM.

I am pleased to report that today, an NPS crew was on site as planned and this
AM dug out the valve. The water is flowing quite well and we (Don, myself and
NPS) will be keeping an eye on it to ensure it continues to flow unimpeded.

As you can imagine, wearing full waders on a hot day was not easy but the work
was done nevertheless. A link to a short video clip which I posted on twitter
can be viewed here.
https://twitter.com/birdingdude/status/1282716449744838662?s=21

If you want to be kept updated on the pond and the level draw down, please send
me a note offline. I will provide intermittent updates to the list serve but
wait for some movement of the water level before doing so.

Many thanks to those of you who show a genuine interest in the management of
the East Pond water. We are doing all we can to salvage the Shorebird season.

Cheers,

--------
"I prefer to be true to myself, even at the hazard of incurring the ridicule of
others, rather than to be false, and to incur my own abhorrence." ~ Frederick
Douglass

風 Swift as the wind
林 Quiet as the forest
火 Conquer like the fire