For the first time in several years, consistent with the Finch "Forecast", I am
seeing a lot of purple finches in Westchester County, including four at my
feeders each of the last three days  --  all of those are Females or young male
types, as are almost all of the purple finches I have seen - just a very, very
few adult males.  (And I can't make any of the M house finches into purple.)
This seems to be what I am reading in other posts on e-bird or otherwise in the
area.  Is it a known pattern that the adult male purple finches don't like it
downstate or is there a more scientific explanation available (or are others
not seeing this imbalance)? Thanks

Croton Point Park has had a few meadowlarks (up to 6 were seen last Saturday),
still very good numbers of pipits, and some good sparrows in the last week or
so (including vesper and clay colored, both photographed).  (But where are the
juncos??)

L. Trachtenberg
Ossining